PocketWeather from SBSH allows you to view up-to-the-minute information on weather conditions in cities and towns all over the world, in a standalone application and as a plugin for your Today screen. The range of locations available, the wealth of climatic information provided and the simplicity of the Today screen plugin are all impressive, as is the small size of the program. It can even give you information on recent earthquakes!
PocketWeather provides a wide range of settings which allow you to select your locations, order them by importance, set the frequency of updates, choose your preferred language and more. You can also choose how your locations are displayed on the Today screen and if you have a high-end device, you can select VGA icons for extra eye-candy points.
For many users, the weather data you have on your device will be updated most often via your dock or USB cable. I found that I had to adjust the connection settings in PocketWeather manually in order to allow it to connect in this way. Another small issue I had was that I couldn’t set the program to update forecast data more than once every four hours. Updating current conditions can be done far more frequently, but I feel that forecast data ought to be just as up to date. Finally, I found that if I changed any settings, I would have to ‘apply’ them before moving to another tab in the options dialog. A warning would come in handy here, as at first I kept losing changes I had made because they were discarded automatically.
These problems however are fairly minor and don’t detract from the overall quality of the application. If you’re looking for one interesting and attractive plugin for your Today screen, PocketWeather is highly recommended.
- Fixed icon #39 handling for WeatherConsole Forecast View
- Added 'Automatically Add Default Images' to PW Options/Images - default is enabled - automatically adds compulsory images, and images automatically provided by the custom data feed
- Data loading optimization
- PW Updater stack size increased to overcome lockup issue
- Fixed WeatherConsole maps/image navigation/panning issue caused by disabling of images
- Fixed PW Options current/image expiry combo box min-values - was 5 minutes - minimum should have been 15 minutes
- PW Options - Added option for user to control static (unchanging) image configuration
- PW Updater - alerts generated by weather templates were using wrong time for event expiry, resulting with anywhere to the West of GMT failing to have any alerts
- Fixed HTTPS bad certificate handling issue